Rural Addressing

Rural Addressing

Rural addressing is a standardized system that assigns an address to rural properties throughout a municipality to allow them to be quickly and easily identified by emergency response services (police, fire, ambulance), service providers, residents, and non-residents. 

Rural addressing within the Municipal District of Fairview No. 136 must be in compliance with Bylaw No. 908 - Municipal Rural Addressing

Assignment of Rural Addresses

All parcels of land supporting occupied residential, commercial, industrial, and public recreational development with a primary access onto a developed public road right of way will be assigned a rural address by the Municipal District of Fairview No. 136. 

A rural address is determined based on the access point into a property from the township road and range road network.

To obtain a rural address, provide the Municipality with your Legal Land Description. The Municipality will obtain GPS coordinates for the access to the property and assign an address accordingly. 

Rural Address Signage

Rural address signage is standardized by the Municipality. With few exceptions, rural address signs are 8" x 48" inches in size, with white reflectorized numbers/letters on a medium blue background. 

The Municipality provides and installs rural address signage at no cost to the property owner. Once the signage has been installed, it is the responsibility of the property owner to maintain the area around the sign and ensure the sign remains unobstructed and clearly visible. 

All damaged, destroyed or missing rural address signage should be reported to the Municipality by telephone at 780-835-4903 or by email.

Non-Standard Requests

A request for a rural address (with or without signage) that is not required or provided for by Bylaw No. 908 - Municipal Rural Addressing shall be submitted, in writing, to the Municipality by any of the following methods: 

  • Email:
  • Fax: 780-835-3131
  • Mail: Box 189, Fairview, AB, T0H 1L0 
  • In-Person: 10957 - 91 Avenue, Fairview, AB, T0H 1L0 

Approval of such requests are at the discretion of the Chief Administrative Officer and the property owner shall be responsible for all costs associated with the provision and installation of signage.