Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need other permits in addition to a Development Permit?

Most development (new buildings, additions, renovations, relocations, and demolitions) requires a building permit, and may also require electrical, gas, water or sewer permits. The Municipal District of Fairview No. 136 does NOT issue these permits. You can obtain these permits by contacting an accredited agency approved by Alberta Municipal Affairs.

Is a Development Permit required for moving or replacing an existing building?

Yes. Moving or replacing a manufactured home, residence or any accessory building whether placed on skids or a permanent foundation, requires a development permit.

Is a Development Permit required for renovations to an existing building?

Renovations that involve any major structural addition or changes to a building or changes to the use and/or intensity of the use of an existing building will require a development permit.

If you are unsure as to whether your renovation requires a Development Permit, it is strongly recommended that you contact the Development Officer by email or by telephone at 780-835-4903 prior to commencing development. 

What if my proposed development is not a permitted or discretionary use in the applicable Land Use District?

If the proposed development is not enabled in the Land Use District where your site is located, you must first apply for an amendment to the Land Use Bylaw No. 876, to enable the type of development you want and, if successful, apply for a Development Permit.

For more information regarding submitting an application for a Land Use Bylaw Amendment, please contact the Development Officer by email or by telephone at 780-835-4903. 

Once a Development Permit is issued, will my property be inspected?

Once a Development Permit is issued and becomes effective, inspections may be conducted by the Municipality to ensure that the development complies with the Development Permit and that the Developer is fulfilling the mandatory conditions. 

Further, provincial authorities or external agencies may also conduct inspection(s) to verify that the development complies with applicable legislation, standards or conditions of a permit or license. These inspections may include, but are not limited to, those relating to fire, safety codes or health.

Once a Development Permit is issued, how long do I have to commence development?

A Development Permit lapses and is automatically void if the development authorized is not commenced within twelve (12) months from the date of issuance. The Development Officer may grant an extension of the development permit approval for up to a period of six (6) months. 

What if I do not obtain a Development Permit, when required?

Failure to obtain a required Development Permit will result in the issuance of a Stop Order pursuant to Section 645 of the Municipal Government Act and Section 5.1 of the Municipality's Land Use Bylaw No. 876

Further, the Municipality may pursue further action against you, including the imposition of fines, an injunction, the laying of charges, and whatever such action is necessary to carry out a Stop Order. For further information, refer to Part 5 (Enforcement and Amendments) of the Land Use Bylaw No. 876

Do I need a Development Permit to build a deck or shed?

A Development Permit is required for any sheds ancillary to dwellings that are more than 10 square meters (107.6 square feet) in floor area and any decks more than 0.61 metres (2 feet) from ground level. Importantly, all decks and sheds (whether or not they require a Development Permit) must meet all setback requirements of the Municipality's Land Use Bylaw No. 876

How many lots can I subdivide from my property?

Parcel density is prescribed according to the Land Use District within which a property is located. Most rural properties in Municipal District of Fairview No. 136 are within the Agricultural Conservation District (Ag-1), subject to section 9.5 of the Land Use Bylaw No. 876

Section 9.5 (Agricultural Conservation District), limits the parcel density per quarter section  to two parcels, with the balance of the quarter section being one of the parcels. 

For further information regarding subdivision, please contact Mackenzie Municipal Services Agency (MMSA), the subdivision authority of the Municipality, by email or by telephone at 780-338-3862. 

What is the setback of a development to the upper break of a coulee, ravine, or valley?

Setbacks from the upper break of a coulee, ravine or valley are determined pursuant to section 6.6 of the Land Use Bylaw No. 876. The minimum setback is determined based on the depth of the ravine, coulee or valley, the steepness (angle) of the slope, and the presence of a watercourse or waterbody.

It is important to note that the Development Officer has the authority to require a geotechnical study or a detailed engineering study prior to the issuance of a Development Permit for the construction of any developments abutting or partially or wholly contained within a coulee, ravine or valley. The setbacks may be increased by the Development Officer based on the contents of the studies that may be required.

Do I need a permit for demolishing a building or structure?

With the exception of those buildings that do not require a Development Permit pursuant to section 3.2 of the Land Use Bylaw No. 876, a demolition permit is required for the demolition of any building or structure for residential, commercial or industrial use, or portion thereof, prior to the commencement of its demolition.

Demolition Permit Applications are exempt from a Demolition Permit Fee. 

The purpose of a Demolition Permit is to ensure that the property assessment remains accurate and that the demolition proceeds in compliance with all applicable legislation, regulations, and codes. The applicant may also be required to obtain additional permits from non-municipal agencies or authorities (ie. fire, safety codes, health etc.).