Planning & Development
For planning and development within the Municipal District of Fairview No. 136 a Municipal Development Plan has been established according to Section 632 of the Municipal Government Act.
The Municipal Development Plan is directed towards the following goals:
a) Identifying a long term future land use concept for the municipality.
b) Coordinating land use and infrastructure planning.
c) Establishing a framework for long term transportation improvements.
d) Providing general requirements for municipal services and utilities.
The purpose of the Land Use Bylaw No. 876 is to regulate and control the use, conservation and development of land and buildings within the Municipality in order to achieve orderly, planned and economic development of land, including;
- The division of the Municipal District into land use districts
- The establishment and prescription for each land use district, and the uses for which the land, buildings and development may be used and regulated;
- To establish a procedural framework for decision making on subdivision referrals, stop orders, land use bylaw amendments and applications for development permits including the issuance of development permits;
- To establish the office of one or more Development Officers;
- To establish the size and density for each land use district;
- To provide a method of notice to those individuals directly affected by the issuance of a development permit.
It is intended that Council will use the policies and objectives outlined in the Municipal Development Plan and Land Use Bylaw when evaluating proposals for future land use change, subdivision and development.
To obtain a copy of the Municipal Development Plan or Land Use Bylaw please contact the office at 780-835-4903.
A development permit is required for all new developments including but not limited to the following:
- Any new building or structure;
- Any major structural addition or changes to the building;
- Changes to the use and intensity of the use of an existing building;
- Changes to the use of vacant land for development;
- Signage except as exempted under section 6.17 of the Land Use Bylaw No. 876
- Storage including storage in tanks;
- Communication towers and structures.
Click here for a view of the Development Process
To obtain a Development Permit or request further information please contact the Development Officer at 780-835-4903. The cost of a development permit is $50.00 for the first $50,000.00 of construction value and $20.00 for each additional $50,000.00 or portion thereof. Maximum permit fee is $2000.00.
Person(s) wanting to subdivide on a parcel of land must contact:
Please be advised the Municipal District of Fairview No. 136 will no longer be receiving service from Alberta Permit Pro or it's successors, as they are no longer in business. For all ratepayers who have outstanding permits with Alberta Permit Pro, the M.D. will be contracting a Safety Codes provider to close all outstanding permits.
The M.D. of Fairview No. 136 will no longer be accredited allowing ratepayers to have the option of hiring a service provider of their choice. See below for a list of service providers in the area that are authorized to issue permits and provide compliance monitioring.
For building, electrical, plumbing, sewage and heating permits please contact: